As an Amazon Affiliate, we may earn a commission on eligible purchases made through our referrals. Frequent Floaters has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. FrequentFloaters and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
Airport lounge access, hotel elite status opportunities, luxury hotel benefits, and statement credits galore: of course we’re talking about The Platinum Card® from American Express!
(Looking for the business version of the Platinum Card? Click here.)
Current Welcome Offer: Earn 80,000 bonus American Express® Membership Rewards® after you spend $8,000 on purchases on the card within the first six (6) months of being approved for card membership. Terms apply. (Learn here how to apply for this promotion.)
Card Type: American Express
What Kind of Points/Miles the Card Earns: American Express® Membership Rewards®
Annual Fee: $695 for the primary cardholder. Up to three authorized users may be added for $195 each and enjoy airport lounge and Global Entry-TSA PreCheck application fee credit. (See Rates and Fees) Check out this post on our sister site, Eye of the Flyer about how Chris earns back his card’s annual fee each year.
Foreign Transaction Fees: $0 (See Rates and Fees)
APR: See Pay Over Time APR (See Rates and Fees)
Points Earnings (terms apply to each):
- 5X points on flights:
- booked directly with airlines
- with American Express Travel
- Applies on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year
- 5X on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel
- 1X on all other eligible purchases
- Complimentary access to airport lounges
- American Express Centurion Lounges when traveling with a confirmed seat on a same-day flight
- Delta Sky Clubs when traveling on a same-day Delta-operated or -marketed flight.
- Escape Lounge by Centurion Suites (with up to two guests) when traveling on a same-day flight
- Select Plaza Premium Lounges when traveling on a same-day flight
- Priority Pass Select membership (enrollment required)
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Select one qualifying airline and then receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year when incidental fees are charged by the airline to your card. (Enrollment is required.) Read this Eye of the Flyer post for more information.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to the primary cardholder only. (Enrollment is required. Terms apply.) Uber Cash deposits are made monthly and expire if not used.
- $189 CLEAR® Plus Credit: Receive up to $189 in statement credits each calendar year for CLEAR Plus membership costs charged to your card. (Enrollment required. Taxes and fees not eligible. Terms apply)
- $100 Global Entry Credit: Receive either a $100 statement credit every four (4) years for a Global Entry application fee or a statement credit up to $85 every 4.5 years for a TSA PreCheck® (through a TSA official enrollment provider) application fee. (Terms apply.) Global Entry comes with TSA PreCheck and is the better value, in our opinion. So many travel credit cards offer this benefit — keep in mind you can “gift” it to someone else.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get up to $200 back in statement credits each calendar year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®. (Terms apply. The Hotel Collection requires a minimum two-night stay.) Read about Chris’ FHR stay at Bellagio Las Vegas!
- Fine Hotels + Resorts: Enjoy early check-in and room upgrades (when available), daily breakfast for two (valued at up $60 total each day), a resort or spa credit (varies by property), and guaranteed late check-out. (Terms apply.)
- Complimentary Gold Elite Status with Marriott Bonvoy (terms apply, enrollment required.).
- Complimentary Gold Elite Status with Hilton Honors (terms apply, enrollment required.).
- Complimentary Hertz President Circle status (terms apply, enrollment required.).
- Complimentary Avis Preferred Plus membership and discounts (terms apply, enrollment required.).
Lifestyle Statement Credit Opportunities:
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Earn up to $20 back in statement credits each month on eligible purchases made with one or more of the following:
- a Disney Bundle
- The New York Times
- The Wall Street Journal
- Enrollment is required and terms apply.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Earn back the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership (subject to auto-renewal) plus applicable local sales tax with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your card.
- $100 Shop Saks with Platinum: Earn up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases in Saks Fifth Avenue stores or at saks.com on your Platinum Card®. Read Eye of the Flyer’s post about this benefit and remember to start your online Saks shopping sessions through a shopping portal such as Rakuten. (Enrollment is required and terms apply.)
- $300 SoulCycle At-Home Bike Credit: Earn a $300 statement credit for the purchase of a SoulCycle at-home bike with your Platinum Card. You must have an Equinox+ subscription to purchase a SoulCycle at-home bike and access SoulCycle content. You must charge the full price of bike in one transaction. Shipping is available in the contiguous U.S. only. (Enrollment is required and terms apply.)
See Rates and Fees for The Platinum Card® from American Express
Frequent Floaters has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. FrequentFloaters and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.